HostPapa Inc. is one of Canada’s fastest growing technology companies. Our goal is to provide our customers with the web hosting solutions they need to achieve success while maintaining our reputation for reliability, security, and award-winning customer service. As a member of our team, you’ll be part of the HostPapa family, driving innovation and success in an environment that nurtures growth, learning, and achieving your potential.
HostPapa is looking for a Senior System Engineer to join our Systems team. This individual will report to our Head of Technology.
You will be responsible for designing solutions from the ground-up to tackle various technical challenges. Our server fleet is largely based on Linux, cPanel, and CloudLinux, so experience with those technologies is a must. We also utilize Xen and KVM virtualization, currently via SolusVM. We’re in the process of developing a hosted cloud solution, so experience with things like OpenStack, OnApp, and Virtuozzo are a plus.
In addition to strong engineering skills, the ideal candidate will have some project management experience and should be comfortable coordinating with other teams to achieve a common goal. You’ll be handed projects of wide scope, and you’ll be responsible for analyzing the requirements, breaking down the work into manageable pieces, developing statements of work, finding and implementing the technical solutions to achieve results, and coordinating with other teams as necessary. You will own the project and see it through from start to finish.
- Planning, coordinating, and executing the migration of client hosting accounts from one data center to another while accounting for underlying technical differences
- Examining the structure of a third-party billing system and finding a way to export the data in an importable format into our billing system
- Generating usage reports that result in a coherent measure of how clients are utilizing their hosting services based on given metrics
- Planning and executing the migration of a mission-critical 500+ GB database from a single server to a database cluster
- Planning and implementing a new monitoring system to migrate from a legacy Nagios system to something scalable and distributed
- Reviewing available server backup solutions, determining TCO, and performing the migration from our existing backups to the new system
- Plan, design, and implement effective, complete solutions to problems assigned to you
- Drive projects from conception to completion
- Work closely with stakeholders to generate Statements of Work that translate requirements into actionable items
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with external teams to achieve complex goals
- Analyze possible solutions from multiple perspectives to find the most effective one to pursue
- 4+ years of experience with cPanel (Plesk is also a plus!)
- Experience with WHMCS, Ubersmith, and/or other off-the-shelf billing systems
- Deep understanding of *nix operating systems
- Ability to understand complex concepts and break them down into actionable items
- Impeccable communication skills, especially when it comes to translating between technical and business sides of the company
- Ability to lead, coordinate, and inspire cross-functional, non-direct report teams
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Benefits and Perks
- Work from anywhere - this is a remote opportunity!
- Competitive salary
- Flexible schedule
- Education reimbursement opportunities
HostPapa is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.
We would like to thank each applicant however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.